Pages

13.9.15

The perfect relationship | Thoughts & Style

During a visit to one pretty seaside location and another pretty countryside location, 2 couples met in what was to be the joining in hands and lives to each other. I was blessed to have been one of the few chosen to witness these occasions with both being such intimate events, and also to meet some really lovely people who I would genuinely say I can see become personal friends and not just acquaintances (plus I got to dress up in this very doll-like structured green metallic dress - now who wouldn't be happy).


 
It's times like these in the mist of honesty, openness, love and humanity that gets me thinking.. (Oh and don't get too over excited, there's no engagement or wedding on the cards for me just yet!).
 
Now that I'm 26 and the amount of marriages to attend every year is beginning to rack up, it's only until now I've really started to think about what relationships REALLY mean. Now this is my own opinion and I'm sure everyone out there has their own thoughts on this subject, but there are a few things mentioned at these 2 special locations that really rang true, and slammed currently ideologies bred in today's popular culture that I think people can get really sucked into.

The first was friendship - The words of 'having someone who makes you a better person' and 'who is always there for you thick and thin' really struck a cord with me and I probably a fair few of the people who witnessed the marriage of these 2 couples. True friendship in todays world I think is really overshadowed, especially in a society where we are constantly sharing our 'perfect' lives, I think some people surround themselves with people who they enjoy company with at that time and make for a good Facebook profile picture, but perhaps may not fully trust them on every front. I think the same goes for marriage here that sometimes that idea of happy ever after and a shiny diamond ring can mean a commitment with a person that doesn't make you the best you can be or have your best interests at heart.

The second was the good, the bad and the ugly - Like every single relationship regardless of your age, race, social status, sexual orientation, and whether you are married, engaged, seeing each other or just friends nothing and no-one ever comes out smelling of roses all the time. Although these areas were touched on in speeches in playful jest, this area is so very true and I think people put too much emphasis on everything being perfect otherwise its not worthwhile and you may as well abandon it just like that pleather skirt you bought in last years H&M sale. This comment may be insight contradiction to my last paragraph but obviously there's a difference between someone making an honest mistake to dishonest one.

Marriage means different things for different people but I can really see a cultural turning point from the above statements. Especially since turning to a much more honest and opinion based writing I'm overjoyed to see other bloggers and writers more and more telling it how it really is and that its not JUST about the sickly sweet sugar coated happiness and Disney like feeling you see in those perfectly poised Instagram photos. I think younger people now feel that they and the people around them should be nothing less than perfect based on a variety of societal pressures otherwise they are a failure, and that if something isn't perfect then its not worth fighting for.

Obviously I am a blogger and I won't lie that I do get sucked in by Marketing ploys that sell that Disney princess feeling, and I have made similar bad decisions, but all I will say to maybe people struggling with a friendship, relationship or what the majority of society is telling them they should be - Nobody on this planet or any other for that matter is perfect in every situation. There's just a turning point in your life with a person that you feel are the person who you truly think you can count on and be yourself with, and no matter how rough the tide gets they'll always have your back. If you have that person, keep hold of them and if not, don't let anyone bring you down, they are not worth your time or effort. Love yourself for who you are and make sure the people that surround you feel the same.

"Perfection is a disease of a nation. We overlay our faces with tons of make-up. We get botoxs and even starve ourselves to become that perfect size. We try to fix something but you can't fix what you can't see. It's the soul that needs the surgery. It's time that we take a stand. How can you expect someone else to love you if you don't love yourself? You have to be happy with yourself. It doesn't matter what you look like on the outside, it's whats on the inside that counts."
  
Julia Roberts via Stylist Magazine
 

 Michelle

What I wore

Green, Yellow and Gold Lantern Dress - AX Paris via Newlook
Black Leather Jacket - DKNY
Chanel Style Chain Bag - Unknown
Black and gold suede heels - London Rebel via ASOS 

 Follow me on Bloglovin' and Twitter!

(Disclaimer - All Images have been taken by myself and additional design is added via Photoshop/Afterlight/iMovie. Any post/item stared with an asterisk (*) has either been gifted to me, or is an event/collaboration that has arisen in consideration for a blog review/post. Most importantly, all opinions made on this blog are my own and not that of any brand or company I have connections with. For my full disclaimer please contact me by email.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright @ Thoughts of a Shell. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign